Congratulations, you made it through the holiday bustle, but maybe you are one of those people who has a loved one that has a January birthday. It is a common lament of those with a January birthday, especially one that comes at the beginning of the month, that their birthday celebration is usually toned down as a result of post-holiday recovery. This year, if you’ve not already, do something different for that special someone and give them the personalized gift of the garnet birthstone.
The garnet has rich and beautiful history; here is a quick list of garnet factoids.
- There are six common garnet species.
- Uvarovite: typically a bright green
- Pyrope: Purplish-red when cross-bred with Almandite.
- Grossularite: pink, orange – cinnamon brown is called Hessonite. The Tsavorite variation refers to the dark green color.
- Almandite: variations of this type of garnet are best used as an abrasive, such as in sandpaper.
- Andradite: carries titanium and is black, Damantoid is a rich green variety.
- Spessarite: Red through shades of orange when cross-bred with Pyrope.
- While there are many garnet mines across the United States the largest gem-quality mines are located throughout Africa.
- The name Garnet means seed, derived from the word ‘granatum,’ and resembled a pomegranate seed to the ancient people who mined them.
- References date back to 3100 B.C., when Egyptians used garnets for decorative inlays.
- Dating back to Roman civilization the garnet was often used in the rings of the elite and Roman Centurions.
Celebrity Birthdays in January:
Speaking of Mariska Hargitay, back in 2008 she donned some beautiful, chandelier garnet earrings. Also, more recently, Kate Beckinsale wore a pair of equally flashy chandelier garnet earrings.
The fashion trend this past winter moved into celebrating jewel tones and while it was the emerald green that received the spotlight by designers, all jewel-tone colored accessories and clothes garnered a thumbs up on the runway.
As a result not only will a garnet gift to the January birthday lady in your life be personal, it will be beautiful and trend appropriate as well. Amidon Jewelers carries a matching ring and garnet hoop earrings in sterling silver with mother-of-pearl inlay. Both items hold the classic, blood red, garnet color that is most commonly recognized.
Thank you for stopping by and we hope you check out our gorgeous gemstone jewelry collection to help you find that ‘just right’ piece for someone special in your life.